Monday, September 22, 2008

What is religion?

I come to the observance or practice of religion as a chaplain/minister and as a student(mureed). I have found that as a chaplain/minister, religion can often take the form of a collection of formal practices and teachings. These practices and teachings are additionally referred to as doctrine and disciplines. In the role of minister/ chaplain I may create opportunities for others to learn or embody these teachings and practices in the context of worship, study and work.
As a student(mureed) a definition of religion might reflect the teachings and practices presented through those opportunities mentioned above- worship, study, and work. As I consider the impact of work, study and worship on ones Divine Ideal I have found religion alone (a collection of teachings and practices) only allows a limited experience of the Holy.
As a student and chaplain the practice of a religion has the opportunity to cultivate a deeper communion with the Divine. This deeper communion I have experienced- has been identified as Spirituality.
In observing ones religion- spirituality can be experienced as a natural fruit of ones worship, study, and work. In my experience religion and spirituality are two sides of the same coin. It is also my experience that while these two have the capacity to work together too often they do not. As I am beginning to see- Religion gives grounding to spirituality and Spirituality gives life/vitality to religion.

No comments: