Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Review of Soul Making. by Alan Jones

Soul Making The Desert Way of Spirituality


Israfel Mark Pafford January 2010
What were the key ideas in the book?

Alan Jones comments on the concept of "atheism" at several points in his survey of the desert "way of spirituality". Beginning in his introduction on pages 8 and 9 Jones states, "I am searching for a combination of Cupitts Hyperborean faith and Rahners way of believing...and Simone Weil reminds us that 'there are two atheisms of which one is a purification of the notion of God." Jones continues, stating that he most identifies with the application of atheism as a purification of the notion of God.
Alan Jones begins by laying out "two alien ways of believing" which he has encoutered in his life before his journey to Egypt. At the heart of these two ways there is only vindictiveness and the insistent or necessary (for proclaiming ones authentic faith) repetition of repeated formula. Jones then explores alternatives to these unsatisfactory ways of believing in the first section of his book. Jones names psychoanalysis and "the way of the desert" as solutions to these unsatisfactory ways of believing. Jones explores further the parallels and partnerships between these two as they stand in opposition to the vindictiveness, perfectionism and ambition so often demonstrated in those "two alien ways of believing" On page 42 Jones states, "The goal of psychoanalysis, like that of spiritual formation, is to aid in the integration of the emotional with the intellectual life..a marriage of mind and heart which in turn leads to fullness of soul" I see Jones quote on page 52 as the central idea of this particular writing. Jones says, "As a believer I place all that psychoanalysis has to teach me in the context of the desert tradition

What ideas, concepts were of particular interest to you? Where was your energy the highest? What excited you?
Alan Jones' conversation and reflections on the image of death in chapter 3 was of particular interest to me. Beginning with his statement on page 61 he comments on the "prelude" to death saying, "Silence and a feeling of deadness seem to go together. To be utterly silent can feel like death.And silence is important..." Why does this particular quote stand out for me? I was reminded of my time serving as a congregational minister in my second appointment. My crisis of faith - a period of silence and deadness- was the catalyst for my discovery of a Divine Beloved and my journey back to faith.

IV. How will I use this information in my own personal spiritual life, and in spiritual direction/guidance with others?
I feel inspired to return often to the portion of Alan Jones book which discusses the role of death and tears in Soul-making. As a hospice chaplain I walk through a desert solitude with my patients and sometimes their families too. In a recent conversation with a family considering hospice care for their loved one I recall two comments made by the patients spouse at different times in the conversation "I can't get past feeling like I am giving up." and " I can't help but feel like I'm killing her if we don't opt for feeding tubes." This particular family consists of a husband and wife with a young adult child. This spouse has cared for his wife (who was diagnosed with Huntingtons disease) for six years. Up until the last four months this spouse worked full-time and raised their child through middle school and high school. In recent months he was laid off from work. And he says he feels like he is giving up by seeking help from Hopice. As I talked with this family it struck me that they had been balancing at the top of a thirty foot pole for the past six years(page 75) As their chaplain my task was to convince them in order to get out of this dilemma the best thing to do would be to step off in the abyss. Otherwise it was only going to get rougher and more lonely up there on that thirty foot pole.

No comments: